lunedì 7 maggio 2007

Wikipedia

This second part of the semester during Prof Sarah's English lessons we concentrated particularly on blogs. Nevertheless, once we had to fulfil a page on Edu Tech Wiki. This task reminded me the first part of the semester when we worked only on wiki pages. I had an hard time during the first semester because I didn't really know how a wiki worked but I lukily knew the HTML computer language that helped me to write in our wiki site.
A couple of weeks ago I had to face Wikipedia again. I had to add new information to a stub page about Informal Learning and I found it easier because I knew how it worked.
I think that it is completely different when you have to add information to a public site instead of to our Tulane wiki site because you feel more responsible. You are writing something that is going to be read by thousands of people and you cannot get wrong.
Talking about the difference between writing on a wiki page and on a blog, I think that writing on a blog is less academic and also more amusing because you feel free to write whatever you want in a colloquial English, whereas when you are writing on the Wiki you are not asked to give your personal opinion and you have to quote other people's thoughts, findings or researches.
Eventually, I do not mean that blogs are better than wiki pages. I'm only trying to point out that they are different and that it's important to know how they both work.

Nessun commento: