lunedì 26 marzo 2007

Social bookmarks

At the beginning I found del.icio.us (as you have already read in the previous post) pretty difficult because I didn't know what to do, how it worked and even reading a lot of times Prof. Sarah's instructions I didn't understand the purpose of the task and the website. After working on del.icio.us I found it extremely useful because on the one hand it gives you the possibility of finding only what you are looking for instead of getting lost in a huge amount of websites, links, etc; it works like a filter and it's a sort of sponge. On the other hand it's really handy because you can save your favourite websites, look for them in every computer (if you don't forget password and username:-))) and share them with other people. If I only knew del.icio.us before!! I lost so many hours in front of my computer looking for websites that could be useful to my dissertation!
In order to read my classmates' choices I went to del.icio.us--->your network, where I immediately found the websites they saved. Considering that we have looked for topics related to our English classes I found them really useful to our studies even if they don't reflect our personal interests (this is the task, though!).

The most clicked websites are about:
  • how to write and present essays, thesis or dissertations (e.g. Elena's choice; Ale_aia's choice)
  • English or American pronounciation and accents, (I think that the Speech accent archive website chosen by Viola is really interesting because it can be used by native or non-native English speakers to analyse the accents of different English speakers);
  • grammar and punctuation: with regard to this topic Erica Buzzaccarin's Good grammar and Punctuation is really helpful because it's an online writing lab with exercises on punctuation and different grammar skills;
  • English slangs and colloquial English; (e.g. Alida's choice or Martina's choice);

These are the most frequent topics looked for by our class, however, I think that Martina's Online Etymology Dictionary and Acronym and Abbreviation Dictionary are among the websites that I prefer because their topics are different, clever and curious!

Tania

Nessun commento: